Known as a town when it was an important centre for wool and cloth trades before Henry VIII's reign, this village has a history of unusual interest. Hendred House, Manor of the Arches, goes back even before permission to build it's private St. Amand's Chapel was granted by the Pope in 1256 and the same family has lived there since 1443.
To the south the parish crosses the ancient Ridgeway track and includes Scutchamer Knob, the legendary burial mound of the Saxon king, Cwichelm.
|Further information is available on the following:|
|East Hendred Heritage Trust|